Why smoothies? Smoothies are delicious and you get the benefit of consuming the whole plant. Smoothies are a fantastic way to load up on nutrient-dense plant foods. Green smoothies are my favourite for ensuring my children are getting plenty of green leafy vegetables… and the best part is that they love them. You can get creative here; change it up however you like.
If you are making enough for the whole family, you’ll need a blender. If its just for you, the Magic Bullet is awesome.
Here is a smoothie that we consume often. My kids call it “The Shrek”
- approx. 1 cup of plant based milk*
- 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate (I use this instead of oranges because my children don’t like the orange bits when I use whole orange)
- 1 banana
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1 kiwi
- fresh lemon juice from 2 lemons
- fresh lime juice from 1 lime (real lemon or real lime can be used instead)
- two big handfuls of kale, spinach or other greens.
*plant based milks include oat, rice, almond or soy. Watch for added oils and sugars. Small amounts are okay, but use organic always. Organic will ensure any added ingredients, like canola oil, are not genetically modified.
Blend until smooth, and enjoy!